Thursday, November 27, 2008

Book List

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell- This is a coming of age book that takes place during the Cold War in England. Once I got passed all the British slang (bog, bog paper...), this book really meant a lot to me. Composed of vignettes that can stand alone, but together compose the enthralling tale of boy with a stammer, this is a book that touches all. I think everyone can identify with the main character. Somehow everyone in my book club loved the book--that rarely happens!

Travels With My Aunt by Graham Greene-- Disclaimer: I have a soft spot in my heart for all things Graham Greene. This particular novel tells the story of a boring main character who gets swept away by his aunt to travel abroad with her. It's a story of crime, passion, and morality. Like most Greene, this book feels like you're watching a black and white movie--has a Casablanca feel to it.

Currently reading The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates for my book club. I'm not far enough into it to give any judgement, but I'd love to hear what you thought of it if you've read it.

Speaking of book club, check out my new mini journals which I use to take notes for my book club. I use the journal as a bookmark while I'm reading the book and take notes in it. Then I store the journal in the book once I'm done reading it. They are available for sale here.

No comments: